Isle of Hope
The renovation of this 3,990-square-foot cottage, and the addition of several well-crafted outbuildings, has revitalized this Isle of Hope property to accommodate the modern family and its guests, reestablishing the home’s deserved position of prominence on “The Bluff.” Alexander Perry Solomon built the original cottage in 1859 and named the house “Liberty Hall.” Bluff Drive, known for its historic cottages, has a colorful history, including this house, built on the foundations of an old horse car station. The cottage, with its porches and deep overhangs, is Southern Coastal vernacular architecture at its purest. The new buildings are designed to connect comfortably through scale and material. The grounds include several 200 plus-year-old live oak trees and help to connect the buildings, which are based on the theme of simple coastal grace.
The design intent was to take the house back to its roots as a river house. These included mantles, niches, cabinets and light fixtures. The kitchen and the study ceilings featured exposed structure, so the sheet rock ceilings in the other rooms of the house were removed, exposing more of the aged floor joists and decking. Antiqued mirror doors were added, further connecting the dining room to the kitchen. The dining room walls were painted by nationally-acclaimed muralist Bob Christian. Carefully chosen salvaged chestnut was used for the trusses and reclaimed tongue and groove wood from a distillery was installed on the walls and ceiling. The entire process was about editing.