East Oglethorpe Avenue
This project involved the renovation of the General Lachlan McIntosh House, a 4,000 square foot brick stucco home situated on East Oglethorpe Avenue in the heart of Savannah’s Historic Landmark District. Originally built c. 1764, the Federal style property is considered to be the oldest brick residence in the state of Georgia. Known affectionately as Eppinger’s Tavern, the location was a popular rendezvous site for Colonial statesmen. In 1783 the first constitutional session of the Georgia Legislature held its initial meeting in the house’s Long Room on the parlor level. The house from 1782 until 1806 was occupied by General Lachlan McIntosh, perhaps the most famous Georgian of the American Revolution. President George Washington visited McIntosh at this home during the president’s Southern Tour in May 1791.
The project goal was to return the property to its original use as a residence, while respecting its history and architectural elements, but with the modernized luxury Savannah exemplifies. The current renovation included extensive work to the main level and separately-accessed garden level apartment. It also included the addition of an elevator and new stair within the existing building footprint. An interior stair addition was required to make the building more viable as the current steep, winding staircase, while now restored to a beautiful architectural focal point, did not meet building codes.
For the last 60 years this property has been under the ownership of one family that has been a commendable steward of this famed building. After undergoing an extensive renovation top-to-bottom, the historic property has been tastefully and thoughtfully made new again.